Summer Silks for Easy Breezy Dressing
Summer Silks? Of course. Silk is a natural fiber just like cotton or linen. It has naturally cooling properties just like the other two fabrics that are always synonymous with summer. There are also so many benefits to wearing this beautiful fabric. I recently wrote about those benefits here, make sure you check it out if haven’t already done so.
First of all, there are many types of silk. Here is a great guide to the different types. Honestly, I didn’t realize that there were so many different types of silk. If you want to educate yourself a little before investing it’s a good guide. For years I have always thought of silk clothes as dressy clothes until I came across this cute pair of shorts this season. The fashion rule of “texture with texture” and “shine with shine” has stuck in my head for years so I have to wear it with a coordinating silk top.
Why wear Summer Silks
- Silk always feels luxurious. It is oh so soft on the skin and who doesn’t like that feeling.
- It is a natural fiber and will help keep you cool in the summer. The beauty of this fabric is that it will also help keep you warm in the winter. Think silk long underwear if you are a skier, live in a cold climate, or are just cold natured.
- If you get a little overheated when wearing silk on a warm day, the good thing is that it dries quickly. Nice not to have those pit stains to deal with or big wet marks on your clothes. Just saying. FYI these photos were taken when it was 90+ degrees outside so that proves the quick dry.
- Very durable fabric. It will last a long time with proper care so check your labels. Many silks are washable. When I wash my silks I always use this detergent and then steam my things once they have hung dry.
Why Designers Like to Work With Summer Silks
- It takes dye beautifully. Thus, you see so many garments that in amazing colorways. Think of all of the silks scarves in this world.
- Due to the nature of the fabric, it drapes beautifully. Tell me a woman that doesn’t want her clothing to drape beautifully.
- Silk fabric is strong for its weight. The fibers can stretch up to 20% and then spring back into shape.
I am rounding up some great summer silks that are on my radar screen. Most of the items are on sale and come in multiple colors. Remember that now is a good time to buy some for fall layering pieces or to have come next spring. You can find them below. I will leave you today with this quote by Oscar de la Renta. “Silk does for the body what diamonds do for the hand.” Now what woman is going to argue with that.
Remember you can get more information about the products by clicking on the photos below and can purchase them thru the link. I may receive a very tiny commission from your purchase and I thank you in advance for that.
Remember to have a little SASs in your day.
I love mixing silk with other materials also Beth. It’s a fun way to “dress up” a pair of jeans I always think,
Yes, I love a good silk blouse with jeans.