10 Healthy and Tasty Snacks to Buy at the Store
10 Healthy and Tasty Snacks to Buy at the Store
Ok, I am going to confess. I am a snacker. Yes, I love my tasty snacks EVERY day. Those who know me well know that I never leave home without a little cooler if I am going to be away from home more than 2-3 hours. Can’t run the risk of my stomach grumbling at me and making an unhealthy choice out of necessity. You don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen making and prepping your snacks. There are plenty of healthy and tasty snacks that you can buy at the store or order online. You just have to know how to find them.
I classify myself as a scheduled snacker. What do I mean by that? It means that I have trained my body to let me know that it needs a little more fuel every 2-3 hours. That means that I usually eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks a day. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t. The snacks are small and always tasty.
You can read about my Fitness Journey. That is when I started eating this way and now my body is very happy with fueling it this way.
Benefits of Healthy Snacking
Snacking every few hours between meals can have its benefits. You just have to remember that it is a snack so your portions are small. Here are some of the benefits I get from snacking.
- Boost of energy that gives me the fuel to get things done all day long.
- Keeps me from overeating at meals. My meal time portions are smaller because I am not starving.
- Get in extra nutrients that I don’t get from regular meals. Many of my snacks contain fruit and nuts so not only more nutrients, but a lot more fiber. Fiber helps keep you full.
Reasons to include Protein at Snacktime
When I prepare a healthy snack for myself I always make sure that there is some form of protein invovled. Protein does not necessarily mean meat. I try to make sure that I get in at least one serving of protein a day from a plant based source. That source is usually a protein powder. My favorite is PlantFusion. The other source of protein that I consume regularly is greek yogurt. A serving a day of this is so good for your gut and overall health.
Here are some reasons that I make sure I get enough protein in my snacks and meals.
- helps manage hunger levels
- lessens craving for unhealthy eating between meals
- helps maintain muscle
Ladies, the last reason is reason enough to make sure you get the amount of protein that you need EVERY day. As we age, we naturally lose muscle mass. Maintaining muscle mass is so important not only for strength purposes, but also for the fight against osteoporosis. Please make sure you are feeding your body the amount of protein that it needs daily to fuel your body properly.
10 Healthy and Tasty Snacks I Eat on the Regular from the Store
Keep in mind that many of these choices go hand in hand with the type of diet that I like to eat to fuel my body. Just a friendly reminder that I am gluten free, dairy free (except for greek yogurt), and soy free. So the foods that I snack on are going to fall into those guidelines.
This list of snacks are good for on the go or if you are home. My frig and pantry always has lots of healthy and tasty snacks options so that I can always find something that suits my fancy and keeps me moving. Also, keep in mind that when I say I buy these at the store it means that I may buy a single bar or shake to try in the beginning at the store, but then I tend to order most of them from our beloved Amazon. What oh what would we do without that 2 day delivery option?
- Protein drinks such as Orgain or Aloha. Great for on the go and travel.
- Protein bars by Aloha and No Cow. Both brands have so many good flavors.
- Epic bars. High protein bars that have interesting flavors made from many types of meat.
- Sliced deli meat. I always keep sliced turkey and ham in the frig. One of my go tos is a few slices of meat and a piece of fruit.
- Greek Yogurt. I love to “drink” my greek yogurt and Pillars is at the top of my list because their products are full of pre and probiotics and do not contain any added sugars. I buy them at Whole Foods, but you can see where else they are sold by clicking here.
Fruits and Veggies
- Baby carrots/celery/squash/grape tomatoes. These are great paired with hummus or you could make your own ranch dip with greek yogurt for protein.
- Apples and nut butter of your choice. These small packets from Justin’s are great for on the go.
- Kind healthy grains bars. The healthy grains and the breakfast bars are great for on the go or just an easy filling snack. I try to get gluten free oats in when I can since they are high in fiber and good for our cholesterol levels.
- Nature’s Bakery Fig Bars. If you are a fan of figs, then you will love this tasty treat. There are more flavor options if you do not need the gluten free. I have only seen blueberry and rapsberry in gluten free, but check out all of the other tasty options .
- Mixed nuts, your favorite type of nut, or trail mix. Great snack, full of healthy fats and fiber. Just make sure that you portion them out. While they are good for us they can also rack up the calories quite quickly and I’m not a calorie counter, but I do look at the macronutrient count. So whichever you take into account, just remember to measure your nuts. They are an easy snack to overindulge in, in my opinion.
As always, thank for taking the time to stop by my little corner of the internet. I really appreciate you taking time from your day. Whether or not you are a snacker, I hope that I helped you find a healthy and tasty snacks that you can have on hand. Seems like more than ever we are having to wait whenever we go places so it is always handy to have something with you.
Remember to always have a little SASs in your day!
The text that is underlined and shows up in a different color is usually a link to another blog post that I have written, another site, or a product. The links to a product are affiliate links. What that means is that if you click on a link to a product and make a purchase, Sassy for Short (a.k.a Beth) gets a small commission at no extra cost to you. The same goes if you click on any of the pictures to get more information about a product. Also, some items may be gifted to me, but opinions about the products are always my own. I really appreciate you supporting the brands that make it possible for me to keep this blog going!