How to Wear Shorts When You are Short
Summertime is here and no matter our age or size one thing that we all want to do is stay cool. Shorts are the natural go to for all of us. Some of us feel more comfortable wearing them than others. Personally, I love to wear shorts and most days you will find me in them. Since I am 5′ 1/2″ I do consider myself quite the expert on how to wear shorts when you are short and feel confident in them. So let’s dive into some do’s and don’ts for wearing shorts when you are short.
Do’s for Wearing Shorts When You are a Member of the Short Girl’s Club
One thing about being short is that we are always wanting our legs to appear longer. I don’t know one member of the short girls club that doesn’t wish for this. So here are some things that will help with that illusion.
- Wear high waisted shorts. This will instantly make your legs look longer.
- Wear a longer inseam. Usually 3″- 5″ looks best. You need to play around with the lengths based upon your height and comfort zone. Once you know what you feel best in, then most online shopping sites list inseam lengths and your shopping will be so much easier.
- Do wear a monochromatic look. A column of color is always a short girls best friend for looking taller no matter the season.
- Wear a neutral shoe with your shorts if possible. A neutral colored sandal will help elongate the leg.
- Wear your shorts with a low heel or wedges for a little extra added height.
Don’ts When You Are a Member of the Short Girl’s Club
- Wear short shorts. They do not make your legs look longer.
- Legs that are too tight. We don’t want our legs looking like sausages.
- Wear large prints or patterns. This is just a general rule of thumb for petites. Patterns should always be to scale with our smaller proportions.
- Wear long shorts with flat shoes. Sometimes we all like a good longer short, but make sure that you wear them with wedges to give height and create that illusion of longer legs.
General Styling Tips for Wearing Shorts
- Wear a little self tanner or bronzer with your shorts. You can read about my favorite self tanners here.
- Style your shorts thoughtfully. You want to make sure you keep them youthful and modern.
- Dress your shorts up. Make sure you take the time to put on some accessories, cute sandals, and a fun summer bag.
- If you feel like you are baring too much skin, add coverage in other areas. I love to wear a thin long sleeved linen button down with shorts. Just roll up the sleeves. You could also throw on a longer sleeveless sweater or kimono to cover some of your lower half.
Some of My Favorite Places To Shop
So now that we know how to style our shorts so that we look good and feel confident in them I thought I would share some of my favorite shorts with you. There are certain retailers that I go back to season after season. Their styles are tried and true for members of the short girl’s club.
Shop My Favorite Styles
Thanks so much for stopping by my little corner of the internet today. I really appreciate it that you made it all of the way to this point of the post to read my thank you. It really does mean the world to me that you take the time from your day. If you are a member of the short girl’s club, then I hope this post provided you with a few tips and reminders that we can look great in shorts all summer long.
Remember to always have a little SASs in your day.
The text that is underlined and shows up in a different color is usually a link to another blog post that I have written, another site, or a product. The links to a product are affiliate links. What that means is that if you click on a link to a product and make a purchase, Sassy for Short (a.k.a Beth) gets a small commission at no extra cost to you. The same goes if you click on any of the pictures to get more information about a product. Also, some items may be gifted to me, but opinions about the products are always my own. I really appreciate you supporting the brands that make it possible for me to keep this blog going!